First picture of TNT worker jailed for life for brutal murder of colleague in Birmingham street

Photo Birmingham Live
By Ross McCarthy

Bile Siyad died after Abdul Khaya delivered the blow in a street in Birmingham after row over £50 This is the TNT worker who killed a colleague by plunging a knife into his head following a dispute over £50. Bile Siyad collapsed immediately after Abdul Khaya delivered the blow in a Birmingham street and died despite efforts to save him.

Khaya, 41, of Bankes Road, Small Heath, has now been jailed for life after previously admitting a charge of murder. He was ordered to serve a minimum of 22 and six months before he could be considered for release. Robert Price, prosecuting at Birmingham Crown Court, said said both men were Somali nationals.

The defendant had come to the UK in 2003 and had made a claim for asylum but his immigration status was uncertain. Mr Price said: “In the early hours of Saturday November 3 last year the defendant stabbed the deceased with a knife that has never been recovered. “That stabbing took place in Coventry Road, Small Heath. The blow was delivered to the left side of Mr Siyad’s forehead.”It was delivered with such force that it went into skull and then entered the brain with fatal consequences.”

Mr Price said the two men knew each other and were co workers at the TNT Kingsbury depot in Tamworth. “The men had been involved in what can only be described as a minor dispute over money,” he said. The defendant had sold some furniture and a TV to Mr Siyad and there was still an outstanding amount of £50 owed.

On the evening the men had been heard arguing at work and Khaya was described as being “really angry.”The victim was then driven by a colleague and dropped off in Coventry Road near his home. However he was then approached by Khaya and the defendant carried out the attack. Mr Price said people went to the victim’s aid and he was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead at 5.38am.

The defendant fled from the scene, tried to hide his jacket in a park and also discarded the knife before later handing himself in. In a statement a cousin of Mr Siyad said: “He was a kind and gentle person who was loved by everyone who knew him and worked with him.

“He was a big part of the TNT team and hard working.”In passing sentence Judge Phillip Parker QC told the killer: “You struck him with the blade hard on his face by his left eye.”It is plain on the evidence that you carried the knife to the scene.”Without any provocation you used the knife. It was a brutal and premeditated attack on a defenceless man.”Michael Duck QC, defending, said Khaya had shown genuine contrition and added: “This was a single blow. It was not a situation where he had run straight up to the man.

“There was a discussion of about two and a half minutes. There were no follow up blows.”

Source: Birmingham Live